“I recently attended and completed the Marriage Course as St Martins Church, and I’m really glad that I did.
I was engaged at the time, heading into a new chapter in my life while trying to seek advice from 'the Man above,' which wasn't easy.
This is what the Marriage Course has taught me:
· Communication is the key to everything.
· Learning how to listen and deal with my partner’s problems/issues, without answering back or giving advice.
· Finding solutions to our relationship problems.
· Probably the hardest, since we weren't married yet – allowing my partner to open up about past issues which had been bothering her for some time. Learning to listen without asking questions, but encouraging her to open up. Learning to forgive and let the past go, in order for us to move forward.
· To never stop loving each other. Not just by saying ‘I love you’, but by doing little things for my partner.
I could carry on, because it really helped my relationship. But it isn't all about me – you too can make a difference in your marriage with the help of this course. Oh, and the food was delicious”
“My partner and I attended the Marriage Course last year, while we were still engaged.
It was a crazy time in our relationship and I really thought we were close to reaching our expiry date. We were at the point in our relationship where we were talking, but no one was listening. Every small thing became an issue.
In attending the course, it wasn't what we’d expected. We sat in a room full of people, but it was so intimate, we could focus on each other. Each lesson we did impacted us deeply. The best part was that the course guided us to each issue, and gave us tips on how to deal and get out of the issue zone without hurting one other.
We learnt about each other; about communication; sex; our families and how our upbringing made us different; how to deal with each other’s families, finances and even just how to listen without judgement.
After the course our relationship changed – not for the better, but the best!
We recently got married and we’re still applying all the small things, like date night or little romantic gestures. The main one we do now is to repeat everything that was just said by the other partner. It's funny and sometimes annoying, but it works. When you do the course you’ll get it.
I really recommend this, not just to engaged couples, but to all couples, married or not.”
Mr & Mrs Jacobs (Roche and Kim)